As the oldest women’s rights organization in Eastern Africa, FIDA Kenya has over the years curved a niche for itself as a fearless defender of women’s human rights at the national, regional and international level. Towards achieving its mandate, FIDA Kenya continually seeks to establish and maintain strategic partnerships with several like minded partners including the Kenyan Government through its ministries and agencies, civil society partners, development partners, institutions of higher learning, among others.
All the above is carried out with the explicit intention of sharing best practices, innovations and also exerting policy and practice influence.
At the regional and international level, FIDA-Kenya has gained recognition as an actor in women’s empowerment.
We use our stature at the regional and international level to bring pressure to bear on policy makers in favor of marginalized women.
In 2005 FIDA Kenya spearheaded the establishment of the Family Division of the High Court.FIDA Kenya was instrumental in the establishment of the National Commission on Gender and Development.FIDA Kenya was involved in the development and drafting of various gender friendly laws and policies such as;
- The Children’s Act 2001
- Sexual Offences Act 2006
- Employment Act
- Trafficking Bill
- Gender and Development Policy
- The Land Policy
- FIDA Kenya has been identified a model organization in the provision of legal aid and is therefore a pilot site for the Kenya National Legal Aid and Awareness Programme (NALEAP)
- MSK Media Warrior Award
- Father Kaiser Human Rights Award for distinguished service in the promotion of human rights in Kenya (2001)
- Prestigious Peace Award- Center for Africa Peace and conflict Resolution, California State University Sacramento (2007)
- Civil Society of the Year Award CSOYA – Overall winner (2008)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Sustainability Award (2008)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Financial Management Award (Runners up –2008)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards (Runners up – 2009)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Financial Management Award (2009)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Monitoring, Evaluation & Review Award (2009)
- Civil Society of the Year Award CSOYA - Winner runners-up (2010)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA - Management Award (Runners up –2010)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Performance Award (second Runners up –2010)
- Civil Society of the Year Awards CSOYA – Monitoring, Evaluation & Review Award (second Runners up 2010)
Consultative and Observer Accreditation
- United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- The African union (AU)
- The African Commission on Human & Peoples Rights (ACHPR)
- The United Nation Commission on the status of Women (C.S.W)
- Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)